mardi 1 juillet 2008

A word about SVN

Today I would like to speak a little about SVN.
Before my GSoC project, I didn't know this tool. Indeed, I have never had the opportunity to work with a version control system. But now, the first thing I would like to say is that is an extraordinary tool.
Thanks to SVN, you can manage many versions of file easily. You can see when the last modifying of a file has been made, who has modify it and what are the changes.
Thanks to this tool, we can have history of what has been made and then it is easier for the others developers to know what you have made and why. They can also check the project’s progress.
In my opinion, another great utility of SVN is than you don‘t need any more to transfer a copy of your work on an USB key in order to work on your home computer. It's finished the time where you have multiple copies and versions of a file, finish the time where you forgot to save a file or erase another. Now, you have just to commit your work before to go back to your home, and retrieve your work later.
I think that now, I could never don’t use it (at least, for big projects).

Aucun commentaire: